The NASC is charged with the overall development and regulation of the national seed industry. The function of the council includes:
- Analyse and formulate programmes, policies and actions regarding seed development and the seed industry in general, including research on issues relating to seed testing, registration, release, production, marketing, distribution, certification, quality control, supply and use of seed in Nigeria, importation and exportation of seeds.
- Design improved management systems and procedures relating to the administration of seed activity.
- Advise the federal Government on the organization, management and financing of seed programmes.
- Analyse the market and price of seeds.
- Advise the national research system on the changing pattern of seed demand and farmer’s needs.
- Monitor and evaluate the establishments of the national seed system and recommended improvement.
- Encourage the establishment in Nigeria of seed companies for the purpose of carrying out research, production, processing and marketing of seeds; and
- Regulate the Seed industry in Nigeria.